Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

So here i am, Christmas Eve. It doesn't feel exactly like Christmas. I feel no drive to be eloquent in my writing. I Simply want to say that i am glad to be alive. This life, with all of it's challenges and turmoil sometimes surprises me with moments of bliss. Tonight, especially, was nothing short of a disaster. And on Christmas Eve! Confusion and tears worked their way into this evening. I had hardly expected to be anything but happy after this day. But, as i said, life is nothing short of surprising.
Trouble with brother, angry and hurt. I made dinner in a fury and cleaned the kitchen in the same state. I was completely distraught. We opened our Christmas pajamas. Still uprooted. And then we read of Jesus' birth. And peace crept in. How can one deny that sure peace that the spirit of Christ brings? Surely i wasn't expecting it. And a text from a loved one brought these words to rememberance:
"Oh holy night, the stars are brightly shining. It is the night of the dear Savior's birth. Long lay the world in sin and error pining till he appeared and the soul felt it's worth. A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. Fall on your Knees! Oh, hear the angel voices! Oh night divine, oh night when Christ was born."
A thrill of hope. What hope does this song speak of? It is the hope that Jesus gave to souls when he came to this earth. That hope...that no one else could bring. None other had the power to save us. none other was equal to the task. Only Jesus could do it. This world is ever weary, we are all continually in a sinful state. But Jesus came to save us from ourselves. And i cannot think of a person that i love more than him. My savior, my King, Jesus Christ. My brother.
The Last is my favorite title, brother. How kind. how wonderful! I can never fully say what i feel for my Savior. I thank him, and i praise him. I am eternally grateful for the knowledge that he lives! That he came to this earth to atone for my sins, and that he died that we might live again. My words are nothing compared to what i feel.
Peace surprised me this Christmas eve. I thought it impossible after the events of this night, but here it is, full and warm. And that is what Christmas is about! Christmas-to remember Christ, to feel of his love, and to feel that sure peace which only he can bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment